CANopen application profile for lift control systems. Standardized communication network for lift control
The members of the international user and produces the group CAN in Automation (CiA) have jointly developed the specification CANopen Lift. In the interest group SIG (Special Interest Group), all CiA members can actively contribute and make decisions about the features. Companies that do not participate will also design and manufacture the units in accordance with the profile CANopen Lift.
Benefits for users
- Not unlocked to a particular elevator manufacturer.
- Normally do not require new cables in expanding functions.
- Maintenance costs will be reduced because it is not tied to a specific device manufacturer.
- Integrated functions for self diagnosis via telecommunication and remote communication reduces operating costs.
- CANopen Lift supports energy-saving features while driving and during standby and for an energy-optimized Security systems.
Benefits for lift manufacturers
- Compatible devices eliminate the need to depend on a single supplier.
- Efficient software tools from different vendors support the configuration and deployment.
- The low number of wiring reduces the cost of the running the cables.
- New features can be added without problems, even without the need for additional cables.
Characteristics of CiA 417 (CANopen Lift)
- Communication conditions including message content are specified and has a defined and preset behavior.
- The use of transparent network bridges enables sharing of lift functions to multiple connected CANopen network.
- Up to eight elevators in the group in a network system. Maximum number of floors is 254. A car can have up to four doors.
Properties of CANopen
Up to 127 devices can be connected to a CANopen network. The bit rate and the communication functions are standardized.
CANopen protocols can be tested and certified.
For CANopen devices,electronic data sheet (EDS) are a standard, which can be read by software tools.
CANopen manages not only communication services and protocols, but also the network management, device control and wrongs.
Properties of the CAN
Reliable error detection ensures stable data transmission.
Low costs for the integration of the CAN protocol in microcontrollers from 8-bit chip 32-bit chip.
Maximum bit rate is 250 kbit / s at a maximum network length of 250 m Other bit rates (up to 1 Mbit / s at 25 m) and lengths (up to 1 km at 50 kbit / s) are possible.
The story behind the CANopen Lift
In 2002, the Interest Group SIG (Special Interest Group) CANopen Lift work to develop the application profile CiA 417. For the first time, several manufacturers a functional elevator model with support for CANopen Lift in a joint stand at the international exhibition Interlift 2003. Since then, hundreds of elevator system with CANopen Lift networks built. These systems are most commonly used devices from different manufacturers. More suppliers will soon implement CANopen Lift interfaces for their products.
CANopen Lift, the open network for lift control
Modern elevator systems are equipped with electronically controlled devices and sub-systems, which are increasingly exchanging data. This is among other controllers, electronic drives for car, door controls, panels, displays and more sensors and gateways to higher level systems. Manufacturer and device vendors have therefore jointly developed a communication system that is largely based on standards. This approach is already present in many other industries. It ensures that devices and systems of different manufacturers can communicate with each other without much configuration needed. The physical transmission of signals and the lower communication protocols based on the internationally standardized CAN system (Controller Area Network). This seriebussystem shows daily what it goes for in millions of cars.
For the higher protocols chosen CANopen. This is a European standard communication systems. It has been used with very good results since the mid-1990s in various industries (machine manufacturing, health care, rail vehicles, etc.).
The data content to pass to lift the components and their mapping to the CANopen communication objects specified in the application profile CiA 417. It describes the functional elements (virtual devices) as well as process data, configuration parameters and troubleshooting information.